This is for one person, you, the one who asked me. Well here it is. You asked how do you stop shopping. Well it’s like this……………just stop doing it! How did I give up smoking, I stopped putting them in my mouth and lighting them! I stopped buying them! How did I stop shopping, I didn’t open the door and I didn’t go in! Drug addicts are always addicts but they don’t always have to be users. I still have compulsive behaviour. I just direct it somewhere else.
My blog today is all about the living you can do and not go in shops.
You may well shop because you’re bored…………..what the duck? Emotional shopping? Do you really get anything out of it? Remember! Their job is to get your money off you. If you have so much you can spread it around then give it to Cancer Research, the Salvation Army or Oxfam, give it to the chuffin’ dogs home, but do something a lot more worth while than shopping for rubbish I bet you just don’t need.
I didn’t run up huge debts shopping, I ran them up on keeping my house upright and fighting the ex in court to keep my children, and then on my education! I’ve always thought that shops were dens of sin, peddling pretty trinkets to people with no self worth. There was my answer, look down on dirty capitalism and commercialism and refuse to dirty your hands with their filth. I now have a whole host of things I do instead of shopping.
1. Read library books.
2.Walk every where, it takes up your day and keeps your arse from sliding down your legs.
3. Do the housework without electricity, it takes up your day and stops the bingo wings from flapping in the wind.
4. Grow food…………most of the muck in supermarkets is rubbish anyway.
5. Volunteer in the community.
6.Visit your neighbours……….mine are smashing and I do like the occasional chat.
7. Make what you need, whether jam or sloe gin.
8. Recycle old clothes into quilts.
9. Cook everything from scratch.
10. Learn to knit or crochet.
11. Work in a charity shop………I’m nosey, so I’d love the comings and goings.
12. Exercise, for free by running or walking – see #2 for validation as to why you should.
13. Share your faith with others and be part of a church community – or not!
14. Be a conservation volunteer, part of coast watch, take part in beach cleans………..
I’m going to leave the rest to my readers. What do you do, that costs nothing, that keeps you out of shops. How do you advise people not to go shopping. Personally I would rather gouge my eyes out with lolly sticks than even look through shop windows! There are so many ways to live, I choose to live mine away from commercialism and make, mend or grow it myself.
Lots of love,