It’s been one of those days where I’ve really fancied junk food! You know the days when you’d really love a takeaway but the budget won’t include it. If you wanted to cook this and wanted it to stretch further then add rice and you’ll need less stir fry; we’re always trying to eat more veggies, so we had kale.
The kale was one of Lidl’s five offers and was 59p
The bag of stir fry veggies was 75p from a Farm Foods
I used three pork loin steaks cut up and were 33p each from Farm foods, 99p in total.
I made the sweet and sour sauce from 60ml ketchup, 60ml of honey and 60ml of wine vinegar, with a heaped teaspoon of cornflour with 60ml of water. Mix well together and have ready. 40p.
I used KTC ginger and garlic which is 80p a jar and I used 2 tablespoons, which is about 1/10th of the jar, so 8p.
Here’s how I made it. Be warned, its quick!
1. Boil the kettle and pour over the kale, this cooks in ten minutes.
2. Cut the defrosted pork steaks into strips.
3. Heat a wok or frying pan to smoking hot.
4. Add the bag of frozen stir fry veggies and pork and keep stirring.
5. When almost cooked, add 2 tablespoons of minced ginger and garlic. You can of course use fresh, but I keep this in my cupboard any way.
6. Stir well and add the sweet and sour sauce.
7. Stir until thickened.
Serve with your choice of either rice or vegetables. £1.40 each. That pushes our budget a bit further than normal but hey, it’s way cheaper than a takeaway. I love a sweet and sour sauce and the balance of plenty of veg balances out all of that sugary honey. It was also great as I didn’t need to add any oil and takeaways are dripping in it!
Over to you Dear Reader, what take away do you fake as you can make it more cheaply and far more healthily yourself?
Love Froogs xxxxxx