Hello Dear Reader,
I can distinctly remember my goal as a child. Mine was to be an adult as quickly as possible! I wanted my own home, my own ‘stuff’, my own money and to make my own decisions. I remember my peers wanting to do the same. I knew what adults did. Adults had jobs, went to work early and worked late, paid for the ‘stuff’ made the decisions and did adult things.
There are whole chunks of being an adult now that many people struggle with. That, may I add, is no judgement but there are bits and pieces of life’s education that some folk have missed out on. Somehow, people have not learned to cook, have no idea how to mend things, how to make any thing, can’t cope with money whether they have some, little or a lot. There are a multitude of reasons why. Maybe, they are a generation removed from people who did stuff such as growing, making or mending. Maybe, they grew up in more affluent times than some of us. I think it may be because their parents were busier just trying to earn a living and had to work longer hours. Who knows?
There are people who really struggle with the whole adult stuff and find budgeting difficult because they can’t make, mend, get by, make do and have no experience or know anyone with those experiences. They find other adult stuff difficult too such as emotional moderation and control so act on impulse. almost like a lifelong teens who see it, want it and don’t reason through the questioning of do I really? Again, no judgement as people grow in different ways and experience different things.
So, what skills do we need to be adults? I thought I’d put together a list of things I picked up along the way. No one taught me any of these in school. These are not in any order of what I think is important they are just as they came to me.
- How to earn money. That internal knowledge that you get a job, any job and you crack on!
- How to keep good time. Set the alarm, get out of bed and get a wriggle on.
- How to keep myself, the house, the kids, the car, clothes and my surroundings clean and in order. If it’s dirty, it needs cleaning, if it’s untidy, then tidy it.
- How to grow stuff. It’s not difficult and now there’s google, you tube and a whole range of advice at my fingertips.
- How to mend stuff. I can’t weld, change a head gasket or mix concrete but there’s not much else I can’t fix.
- How to prioritise when you just know what’s important and what’s not.
- How to chop wood, chop kindling, set a fire and keep it going.
- How to cook a range of meals, bake bread, make pastry, bake a cake……nothing fancy just home cooking.
- How to budget. If you need it, you save up for it and you go without until you can. Never spend more than 75% of your earnings as you’ll need to save the rest for family, the kids, the house, the car, dentist, birthdays, Christmas and anything else that’s not in the 75%
- How to amuse yourself when you have no money. You know where the library is, you know that something needs fixing, fettling or fiddling with.
I’ll leave the rest to you all and we can all join in. What skills do we need to be adults? Why do you think some people struggle with the whole adult thing. I’m not saying it’s easy and it certainly isn’t difficult either. Anyway, I look forward to your responses.
Love Froogs xxxx