Hello Dear Reader,
That got you thinking! Shepherd’s pie is a potato topped pie made of minced lamb, whereas a Shepherdess Pie is made from veggies and lentils for protein. I sprinkled some half fat grated cheddar on top and Dearly Beloved said it’s one of the best dinners he’s ever had. That is a massive compliment coming from a man whose favourite food is steak.
When I started this, I didn’ think I would enjoy eating for less than £2 a day but I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying what we eat. I still miss meat but accept that this is now a treat and not the norm. I think many people will go back to meat once a week or not at all. As a nation, we were healthiest we’d ever been when we ate very little meat, fat or sugar. If you’ve never seen ‘Wartime Kitchen and Garden’ I’ve embedded two episodes at the end of this post. It’s a fascinating insight into our national diet and I hope you enjoy the programme.
This really is a cheap and simple recipe and I made two pies from this which means one for dinner and one for the freezer to be eaten another day.Cook and mash some potatoes and leave to cool – heat the oven to a high setting – I used my mini oven. (I used 50p worth of potatoes.
Half a head of celery – finely diced 35p
1 onion – finely diced – 23p
4 small carrots/2 medium – finely diced – 13p
100g of red lentils – 22p
1 stock cube – 2p
80g of half fat cheddar grated – optional – 35p
1 cup of frozen mixed veg. – 12p
(I also threw in the leftover stir fried veggies from yesterday).
Total cost to serve 4 portions – £1.92 – 48p per portion!!! Even less if you didn’t use the cheese.
1. Fry the onions, celery and carrots in a saucepan in a little oil until softened/cooked through
2. Add lentils and mixed veg.
3. Crumble a stock cube and cover with water, bring to boil and then simmer until lentil are cooked but not mush.
4. Check for flavour – I also added a sprinkle of garlic powder and some dried parsley – it’s your choice.
5. Layer in a lasagne dish or roasting dish and roughly place the mashed potato on top.
6. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes or golden on top.
7. Whilst the pie is cooking, steam some vegetables to go with it.
8. Serve with gravy – I used instant veggie gravy.
We had really forgotten how much we really enjoy the nutty taste of lentils. I really enjoyed this, but not the heat of having the oven on! Is anyone else feeding themselves well on less than £2 a day?
I’ll be back tomorrow,
Love Froogs xxxx