Hello Dear Reader,
I’ve had a fight with the UFO today and the UFO won! I took some very good advice I was given yesterday and stuck the backing and the batting to the floor. I used duck tape! That bad boy was going no where this time! After a few harsh words with the quilt which refused to be ironed and petulantly kept throwing itself on the floor, I then managed to carry the topping to meet the batting and the backing and the battle began. I worked very slowly and only sprayed the adhesive very lightly so I could pull it apart and get it right if I needed to.
The whole process still took ages. I now have joint pain, I’m exhausted and that’s it for today. It’s going to be a joy to sew it together without it wriggling around between pins. I wish I’d discovered spray adhesive years ago. I did investigate getting it long arm quilted and the costs are very reasonable but in the end, I decided it defeated the object of making it myself if I sent it away to be finished by somebody else. I’m sure they could have done with the work and the money they’d earn from it but I shall squirrel the money away to pay off some more mortgage capital.
The quilt is three metres by three metres or twelve feet by twelve feet and I’m going to very slowly get the actual quilting done. If I don’t find some more energy, it will take years. I’ll keep you all up to date with the progress.
As ever, thanks so much for the really kind comments and it’s always lovely to hear from you. Today, why don’t you all share a herculean task you undertook, that took you ages, maybe even years, and how you managed to get it done in the end. I look forward to your stories.